Let’s give a hearty “Welcome back!” to our friend Rebecca, who previously wrote about her Tacoma on these pages. She just picked up this gorgeous Z4 from a dealership hundreds of miles away from her house. This is her story on how she did it.
This journey started in October of 2007 when the lease on my 2005 Z4 three. matured, and I had to give the automobile that I dreamed of, and built on BMW NA’s site for two years, back to the dealership.
Considering that then I’ve had the recurring dream that I nevertheless had that car — it’s just been in storage all this time. I have significant commitment problems with cars, so it dawned on me three years ago that this was the one particular that got away. Quick forward to April 2016, I’ve saved for this auto for a couple of years, and casually checking out the market with the plans to buy ahead of the end of the year. I occurred upon a couple of white ones just outdoors my cost range, and decided it was worth the stretch.
So what was my approach?
I began with two cars that I actually wanted, and a handful of backup choices from across the nation. I located cars employing AutoTrader.com, Cars.com, Craigslist, and then utilized CarGurus to check for time on lot and pricing history. Soon after a month of phone calls and emails, I worked out a deal with a dealership on 1 of my original two (the other had sold). To shield the innocent, we shall just say that this dealership had a extremely Pick inventory of Cars in Cleveland. Anyhow, soon after negotiating the deal, I left a deposit over the phone, and arranged to have the auto brought to a BMW shop in the location for a pre-sale inspection.
Tip #1 Use Your Sources:
A excellent buddy of mine has a Z4M and he gave me the rundown of the widespread problems. I also checked the forums for other common problems. Ahead of the shop performed an inspection, I gave it my list of what I wanted them to verify on the car. As soon as I got word that the car had passed and received the list of little fixes, I reworked the terms with the dealership and booked my flight to Cleveland.
Tip #2 Book Round-trip Tickets:
This could blow up in your face and you need to have to find a way home. I occurred to have a function meeting scheduled for two days soon after delivery, household not far away, and a ton of rental car points, so my backup program was to do a a single-way rental.
The day ultimately came, and I flew out of Boston at 7 a.m. A salesman picked me up from the airport and took me to see my child for the 1st time. I had it in my head that it was going to go 1 of two approaches: the auto was going to be immaculate, or it was going to be a turd.
Tip #three Do not Compromise:
Right after this a lot of years of planning and waiting, I was going to get exactly what I wanted. I had every single intention of walking away if I got any poor vibes from the auto. At this point, I had asked three distinct people if there was “evidence of paint work” on the automobile. I choose my words meticulously right here when I acquire a automobile, simply because asking if the car was involved in an accident or has a clean CarFax leaves much area for interpretation and excuses.
Tip #4 Be Familiar With How To Check For Paint Operate
First point I do when I appear at a vehicle is verify the physique panels for tape lines. I constantly begin with hood, door jambs, fenders, and make my way around the car. I was running my finger along the prime of the front bumper when I felt some overspray. I asked the salesman to pop the hood and certain sufficient, the front bumper had been re-sprayed on the auto (for these of you who are much less familiar with physique operate, this means that there was practically no prep, and the front bumper wasn’t removed prior to paint). Upon closer inspection, I could see that the paint was pulling away at the edges revealing factory paint and clear coat underneath. I created a call to my physique guy (always a good notion to have 1 handy), and sent him a couple of images. He mentioned the physique gaps on the rest of the automobile appear fantastic, didn’t consider it had been hit, and gave me a quote for the expense to fix the bumper. I told the only manager on duty that I wanted that expense to be deducted from the value of the vehicle, and in not so many words he told me to go screw myself. I was then informed that I couldn’t get my deposit back until the owner was back in a handful of hours. Soon after he mentioned “Did I stutter?” I called for my rental ASAP prior to I brought on a scene.
Following renting a gorgeous Hyundai Accent to get me house, and grabbing a bite to consume, I went back to the dealership to see the owner and get my income back. He was considerably calmer, and asked what it would take to make me pleased. Let’s examine the information. The auto had been there for 130 days, most convertible buyers finish their purchasing early spring, and the automobile is not as cherry as I had hoped. All I wanted was to be compensated for what it’ll expense me to repair the bumper. We went back and forth a bit, he showed me how significantly he was losing (irrelevant to me), and we ultimately agreed on a new sales price. I did my paperwork and went to New York.
A couple of far more pieces of guidance:
- Strategy a exciting route home. In my instance, I had household vacationing at Lake Chautauqua, NY, and then had to get to a function meeting in Burlington, VT. I took the NYS Thruway then went up by way of the Adirondacks to Vermont. I made a ton of stops along the way, took lots of images, and my favorite parts have been areas with no cell service.
- Don’t pack much more than what you can match in your new automobile. Fortunately, this is my second Z4, so I was familiar with the trunk size. I carried on and nevertheless managed to use practically all the cargo space.
- Bring sunscreen (if you’re bringing a convertible home). I created the guarantee to myself that I’d do the entire 800 mile journey topless. I encountered a couple of rain storms (not a issue if you hold your speed up), and was inside 30 miles of property when I got stuck in rush hour plus a rain storm. But yeah, bring the great stuff. I was lately asked if I was Southeast Asian.
- Bring a buddy. I’m fiercely independent to a fault, but there were times on this trip I wished I wasn’t alone. When factors went sideways at the dealership, I felt actually overwhelmed and could have utilized a third-party that wasn’t emotionally or financially committed. It also would have been nice to share the journey residence with a person.
- Price range for unplanned expenses. In my case, I was prepared for the reality that I may be coming home without the car. I also place some income aside for maintenance products the vehicle may need. Considering that it wasn’t clear if the car’s valves had ever been serviced, I provisioned for possessing Turner Motorsports give the auto one more great when more than, adjust the valves, change the spark plugs, and send off for an oil analysis.
- Download SnapChat. I SnapChatted the journey to my friends across the country as I went, hollerrrr (that’s what the youngsters are saying these days right?).
Write-up and images by Rebecca Turrell.